WELCOME TO MY "OTHER" BLOG!

If you are coming from Building Heavenly Bridges (BHB), WELCOME and if you are finding me for the first time and looking for support after a loss, then please check me out at my grief/loss blog!



This blog is a series of anecdotes from our life after losing our first child, a stillborn daughter, then going on to birth the two other lights of our lives!

Bear is 6: serious, organized, my cruise director and my time keeper.

The Comedian is 4: She is pure comedy always doing something unintentionaly funny that I attempt to put into words.

Enjoy our stories, conversations, and delights as we embrace the lives of our second and third daughters without ever negating our first.

Children's Widsom - Quote of the week...

Children's Widsom - Quote of the week...
"I Wish Emma Was Alive Because I Would Tell Her Where The Bathroom Is"

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Show and Tell - Sink or Swim

Bear has never loved water. In fact, she hated it with an earsplitting vengence as a baby. A simple sponge bath left my eardrum smarting for a day or two.


Bathing during her toddler years is not a story I will even tell you. Ok, Earplugs. Enough said.


We started swimming lessons at 2 years old. For the first year she sat on the first step. The second year she sat in the water on the second step, and so forth.


We've never pushed her. We've always wanted her to feel safe in the water and find her comfort zone in her own time. Even so, this was the general expression you recieved when she got anywhere near water, usually followed by tears.


As summer approached something told me this was our year. An inuition of sorts that the heavens had aligned and suddenly, not only would she feel safe and confident in the water, but she would want to swim!


Mother's intuition. Never mess with it.





Congratulations Bear. You have done it. And, futhermore, you have inspired your sister to follow suit. You are growing up so fast and accomplishing so much.

This is Bear's fifth year in level one swimming lessons. Tommorow is the 'exit test'. Something tells me that, at long last, she will pass!

What are you showing and telling?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Definitely never mess with mom's intuition! Congratulations after such a long hard struggle.

Flying Monkeys said...

Great job! I know several people who still won't swim as adults. Good luck tomorrow!

areyoukiddingme said...

Great job, Bear!

I started taking my girl to swim lessons at around 20 months, so she wouldn't be afraid of the water. Little did I know that the water wasn't the problem...being unfamiliar with or not liking the instructor is the problem. She's almost 3, and is ready to move up. I've never been able to really swim, so I feel like I need to give her the opportunity.

luna said...

that is awesome. what a beautiful girl!

Kristin said...

Huge CONGRATS Bear! You are totally going to rock that swim test!

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Woohoo! Three cheers for Bear! Sending lots of good thoughts and confidence for your test!

And a mother's intuition is rarely wrong... good for you for listening to it!

JB - A.K.A. Jenn said...

Way to go BEAR!!! That is awesome!
Your Mothers intuition was spot on!

FABULOUS!!!

Billy said...

Yay for the bear and for mother's intuition!
Good luck on the 'exit test' :-).

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Congratulations to your swimmers!!!

Lin said...

WTG Bear! So awesome...water bugs all around!

Eskimo_Kisses_4_U said...

Congratulations to Bear (And mom!)

Anonymous said...

Being comfortable in the water is a big milestone. I wish her many happy years of swimming and froliching.

Once A Mother said...

I think it is great that you trusted your intuition and let her find her own comfort in the water. i know a few adult friends who are to this day afraid to swim because they were forced into it too early. thank you for sharing this wonderful moment

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Bear reminds me an awful lot of me.

Congrats on the breakthrough!